- Unitec Laboratory (Dongguan) Limited * Unitec Laboratory Services Limited (hereinafter the “UTL”).
- Unless otherwise agreed in writing or except where they are at variance with (i) the regulations governing services performed on behalf of governments, government bodies or any other public entity or (ii) the mandatory provisions of local law, all offers made or any of its affiliated companies or any of their agents (each a “Company”) and all resulting contracts or other arrangements shall be governed by these general conditions of service (hereinafter the “General Conditions”).
- UTL may perform services for persons or entities issuing instructions (hereinafter, the “Client”).
- Unless UTL receives prior written instructions to the contrary from Client, no other party is entitled to give instructions, particularly on the scope of the services or the delivery of reports or certificates resulting therefrom (the “Reports of Findings”). Client hereby irrevocably authorises UTL to deliver Reports of Findings to a third party where so instructed by Client or, at its discretion, where it implicitly follows from circumstances, trade custom, usage or practice.
2. Provision of Services
- UTL will provide services using reasonable care and skill and in accordance with Client's specific instructions as confirmed by UTL or, in the absence of such instructions:
- the terms of any standard order form or standard specification sheet of UTL; and/or
- any relevant trade custom, usage or practice; and/or
- such methods as UTL shall consider appropriate on technical, operational and/or financial grounds.
- Reports of Findings issued further to the testing of samples contain UTL’s opinion on those samples only and do not express any opinion upon the lot from which the samples were drawn.
- Should Client request that UTL witness any third party intervention, Client agrees that UTL’s sole responsibility is to be present at the time of the third party’s intervention and to forward the results, or confirm the occurrence, of the intervention. Client agrees that UTL is not responsible for the condition or calibration of apparatus, instruments and measuring devices used, the analysis methods applied, the qualifications, actions or omissions of third party personnel or the analysis results.
- Reports of Findings issued by UTL will reflect the facts as recorded by it at the time of its intervention only and within the limits of the instructions received or, in the absence of such instructions, within the limits of the alternative parameters applied as provided for in clause 2(a). UTL is under no obligation to refer to, or report upon, any facts or circumstances which are outside the specific instructions received or alternative parameters applied.
- UTL may delegate the performance of all or part of the services to an agent or subcontractor and Client authorises Company to disclose all information necessary for such performance to the agent or subcontractor.
- Should Company receive documents reflecting engagements contracted between Client and third parties or third party documents, such as copies of sale contracts, letters of credit, bills of lading, etc., they are considered to be for information only, and do not extend or restrict the scope of the services or the obligations accepted by UTL.
- Client acknowledges that UTL, by providing the services, neither takes the place of Client or any third party, nor releases them from any of their obligations, nor otherwise assumes, abridges, abrogates or undertakes to discharge any duty of Client to any third party or that of any third party to Client.
- All samples shall be retained for a maximum of 3 months or such other shorter time period as the nature of the sample permits and then returned to Client or otherwise disposed of at UTL’s discretion after which time Company shall cease to have any responsibility for such samples. Storage of samples for more than 3 months shall incur a storage charge payable by Client. Client will be billed a handling and freight fee if samples are returned. Special disposal charges will be billed to Client if incurred.
3. Obligations of Client The Client will:
- ensure that sufficient information, instructions and documents are given in due time (and, in any event not later than 48 hours prior to the desired intervention) to enable the required services to be performed;
- procure all necessary access for UTL's representatives to the premises where the services are to be performed and take all necessary steps to eliminate or remedy any obstacles to, or interruptions in, the performance of the services;
- supply, if required, any special equipment and personnel necessary for the performance of the services;
- ensure that all necessary measures are taken for safety and security of working conditions, sites and installations during the performance of services and will not rely, in this respect, on UTL's advice whether required or not;
- inform Company in advance of any known hazards or dangers, actual or potential, associated with any order or samples or testing including, for example, presence or risk of radiation, toxic or noxious or explosive elements or materials, environmental pollution or poisons;
- fully exercise all its rights and discharge all its liabilities under any relevant sales or other contract with a third party and at law.
4. Fees and Payment The payment and fee is payable to Unitec Laboratory Services Limited.
5. Suspension or Termination of Services UTL shall be entitled to immediately and without liability either suspend or terminate provision of the services in the event of:
- failure by the Client to comply with any of its obligations hereunder and such failure is not remedied within 10 days that notice of such failure has been notified to Client; or
- any suspension of payment, arrangement with creditors, bankruptcy, insolvency, receivership or cessation of business by Client.
6. Liability and Indemnification
- Limitation of Liability:
- UTL is neither an insurer nor a guarantor and disclaims all liability in such capacity. Clients seeking a guarantee against loss or damage should obtain appropriate insurance.
- Reports of Findings are issued on the basis of information, documents and/or samples provided by, or on behalf of, Client and solely for the benefit of Client who is responsible for acting as it sees fit on the basis of such Reports of Findings. Neither UTL nor any of its directors, employees, agents or subcontractors shall be liable to Client nor any third party for any actions taken or not taken on the basis of such Reports of Findings nor for any incorrect results arising from unclear, erroneous, incomplete, misleading or false information provided to UTL.
- UTL shall not be liable for any delayed, partial or total non-performance of the services arising directly or indirectly from any event outside UTL’s control including failure by Client to comply with any of its obligations hereunder.
- The liability of UTL in respect of any claim for loss, damage or expense of any nature and howsoever arising shall in no circumstances exceed a total aggregate sum equal to 10 times the amount of the fee paid in respect of the specific service which gives rise to such claim
- UTL shall have no liability for any indirect or consequential loss (including loss of profits).
- In the event of any claim, Client must give written notice to UTL within 30 days of discovery of the facts alleged to justify such claim and, in any case, UTL shall be discharged from all liability for all claims for loss, damage or expense unless suit is brought within one year from:
(i) the date of performance by UTL of the service which gives rise to the claim; or
(ii) the date when the service should have been completed in the event of any alleged non-performance.
- Indemnification: Client shall guarantee, hold harmless and indemnify UTL and its directors, employees, agents or subcontractors against all claims (actual or threatened) by any third party for loss, damage or expense of whatsoever nature including all legal expenses and related costs and howsoever arising relating to the performance, purported performance or non-performance, of any services.
- If any one or more provisions of these General Conditions are found to be illegal or unenforceable in any respect, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not in any way be affected or impaired thereby.
- During the course of providing the services and for a period of one year thereafter Client shall not directly or indirectly entice, encourage or make any offer to Company’s employees to leave their employment with UTL.
- Use of UTL’s corporate name or registered marks for advertising purposes is not permitted without UTL’s prior written authorisation.